How do I test to see if I am in ketosis?
There are three methods that you can use to measure ketosis and optimize your personal protocol:
1. Blood BHB Measurement
- Pros: Most accurate measurement available.
- Cons: You need a handheld device (i.e., FreeStyle or Keto Mojo) and test strips, which can be expensive. You have to take a finger prick blood sample.
2. Urine ketone test strips
- Pros: Cheap, available in many pharmacies and non-invasive.
- Cons: Less accurate than blood. Over time the body adapts to excrete fewer ketones in the urine.
3. Breath acetone meter
- Pros: Once you have bought the device, it is free each time you test.
- Cons: You need a handheld device (i.e Ketonix). Less accurate than blood.
It is strongly recommended to check your blood ketone levels if you are trying to get into nutritional ketosis, or if you are using exogenous ketones. That way you will know if what you are doing is really working.
Learn more here: Top 3 Ways To Test For Ketosis