There is controversy in the scientific and popular communities about the effects of the ketogenic diet on performance.
The reported benefits of a ketogenic diet for athletes are:
- You can go for longer. The increased ability to burn fat during exercise gives you larger fuel reserves.
- You recover faster post-workout.
- Improved body composition.
- Greater well-being and less inflammation.
Why nutritional ketosis might detriment athletic performance:
- Some studies have reported a reduced ability to perform high-intensity exercise.
- Feelings of subjectively lower energy.
- Decrease in exercise efficiency.